Husband and I did a crazy thing the other night. Well, come to think of it, it's not that crazy if it were 10, 15 years ago. We decided to go to a Waikiki night club for young, young singles called Zanzabar. The club has been around for quite some time. I remember it being there 10 years ago.
Why I Don't Like Zanzabar in Waikiki, O'ahu:
1. There's a sign posted at the entrance with a lengthy dress code. They DO NOT enforce it at all. Thus, my efforts to be presentable and force my husband into a dress shirt was all for naught because they DO NOT enforce their own dress code.
2. Zanzabar needs a serious makeover. It has been over 10 years and the decor is still the same. I definitely DO NOT think LUXE when I step into their establishment.
3. In lieu of a kitchen they had people selling food as soon as you step in the door. This is definitely not a high end experience when the people selling food have chafers covered with tin foil to keep their servings warm. GHETTO! First - it means the food is not made to order. Second - who knows how long it's been sitting there. Sanitation code states that food must be thrown out after a certain period of time. I don't think they're following that.
4. You step up to the person checking your I.D. You get "wanded" for metal items. Then you walk up to the door where a very mean-looking, frowny-face woman stands and tells you to move on the side while other patrons are either exiting or a VIP person is getting in ahead of you. **rolling my eyes**
5. The bathroom is a wreck! I visited the bathroom about three times that evening. The stall I used, the toilet tank had no lid and there was no toilet paper.
6. They had a very mean and feisty attendant in the bathroom. It was just all wrong to have that woman in there. She tried to guilt trip everyone into tipping her. If I were the boss, based on her customer service, I would fire her. I actually heard her tell a woman that she should tip because she's in the military and makes lots of money. By my third visit to the restroom, I was OVER the rude bathroom attendant and I skipped her hand soap and paper towels. I just washed without the soap and shook my hands dry.
7. The guy to girl ratio swings in the LADIES favor. There are like 5 guys to 1 girl. That might be a good thing for a single lady. Not a good thing for a single guy unless he's into guys.
8. The music... It was the same music and mixes from my mid-20's. That was 10 years ago.
FINAL CONCLUSION: $10 cover -- I will never pay it again -- not at Zanzabar! They need to call Jon Taffer and the team of Bar Rescue to rehab the place.