I mentioned last night that I would be making Spanakopita today and I did just that. I got the recipe off the Food Network website.
* 1/3 cup olive oil
* 2 pounds spinach, washed and drained
* 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, chopped
* 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 1/2 pound feta cheese, crumbled
* 1 to 2 eggs, lightly beaten
* 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
* 1 pound filo pastry sheets
Directions (my condensed version)
- Saute spinach. Drain.
- Saute scallions then add spinach and parsley
- Add salt and pepper
- Let the mixture cool
- When the spinach filling is cool, add feta and eggs and mix evenly.
- Brush the pan you will be using for the spanakopita then lay out the first layer of the pastry sheet
- Butter the layer then add more sheets. Continue this process a couple more times.
- Spread out the filling onto the pastry sheet
- Finish off the top with the rest of the pastry sheets
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until golden brown
This was the result of my endeavor. It smelt so good while it was baking. The next time I make this, I will do a few things differently. My spinach mixture (the filling) would be much thicker than what I had prepared. I wouldn't have baked it as long as I did. I wouldn't have used a smaller pan, maybe a 9x13 instead of the half-sheet pan that I used.
So have at it people. Making this dish is really simple especially if you make the filling ahead of time. I think this dish is an appetizer. I'm not sure. It was delicious though. I paired it with chicken meatballs in a tomato and zucchini ragout. Bon Appetit!